Tuesday, February 17, 2009

SILICONE BAKING SHEETS:
CAN PLASTIC TRULY BE SAFE TO COOK ON?
I was given a couple silicone baking sheets for Christmas and I am very skeptical about their safety. I have used them several times and they "smoke" in the oven. They cause the smoke alarm to go off every time! On top of that, while they are piping hot in the oven, they bubble up and look like, well, plastic melting! I've baked cookies and garlic bread on them and they've turned out fine and tasted completely normal, but I can't help but wonder if experts will tell us ten years from now that plastic baking sheets have been linked to causing cancer...

Not going to find out the hard way...I've retired my set. I can still use them for other things maybe, but these guys won't be seeing any more oven time!

No comments: