Saturday, February 28, 2009

HOMEMADE POLISH PIEROGIES
I had gone almost twenty-seven years of living without ever tasting a pierogi and even then, when I finally did try one, it was only the frozen variety! Being somewhat uneducated about traditional Polish cuisine, I didn't even know they were ever stuffed with anything other than potatoes and cheese! I found a recipe for homemade pierogies stuffed with ground beef and creamy farmer's cheese on the food network's website and thought I'd give it a try...

It was quite a lengthy/messy process even though the recipe was dubbed easy! I guess the creator did not have a toddler trying to "help" half the time!!! After making the dough, rolling it out, cooking then adding the filling, pinching them together, boiling them, then finally sauteing them with butter and onions...three hours later, they were almost worth it! :( The boys both liked them, but I thought they were too doughy (thick). If I ever attempted them again, I would use my pasta maker to roll the dough out extra thin and stuff them with potatoes, cheddar and jalapenos instead. Can't say I'll be signing up to make them again any time soon...the clean up was murder!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

yum! i used to eat them with sour cream my sophomore year at ou. i have a recipe for perogies with a yummy sauce to try - ill be using the frozen variety for sure!!

melyssa said...

thanks for your kind comment on my blog! Totally appreciate it. I have to get ready for church but I want to come back and read yours! I'll be daydreaming of peirogies now when I should be listening to the sermon. :)