Tuesday, February 17, 2009

FIRST "HOMEMADE" LASAGNA

For some reason, I have always shied away from making lasagna. Maybe it was all the layering, but it sounded a bit complicated and messy. Growing up in an Italian family, you'd think that would have been a staple food, but we ate homemade spaghetti and manicotti much more often! I decided to give it a try and, although it was a messy process, it was WELL worth it!! I can't claim that it was entirely "homemade" however, because I didn't use my own sauce (that would have taken even longer) and I didn't make my own pasta... (tisk tisk, Nonna, I know)!! I was given a family recipe, but there weren't many exact measurements and I since it was my first time making it, I decided to go with the tried and true recipe on the back of the San Giorgio Lasagna box! I added an onion, green pepper & garlic, plus used a little more cheese and sauce than they recommended, but it turned out absolutely delicious!! Seeing the satisfied, saucy smiles on the boys' faces as they scarfed it down made it all worthwhile!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yum! Sounds good! I am a pastaaholic!!