Sunday, April 19, 2009


The Sweet Smell of Spring

It's just after eleven and the morning dew has all but disappeared, though the faint smell of honeysuckle has not. The scent of fresh-cut grass and wild chives lingers in the breeze and the familiar sound of tractors mowing is a sure sign that spring has arrived. Just as promised, She has littered the hillsides and lined the country roads with daffodils. The blossoms on the apple trees look stunning against the barren branches of her cousins, which are just beginning to bud. Against a perfect blue sky, a yellow butterfly flutters gracefully without a care. The goldfinches are beginning to brighten and gather to gossip around the feeder hanging from a tree. The urge to begin planting my garden is strong, but I know better than to test Mother Nature this early. Here in Ohio, she always has a few tricks up her sleeve. It wouldn't be entirely crazy for it to snow in April (it already has twice this year ;) For now, I'll work on organizing my seed collection and start some seedlings indoors. It would be best to wait until almost Mother's Day before I really start going crazy out there. I can plant my potatoes right now and I'm even tempted to try out broccoli, which is another veggie that can withstand lower temperatures. My annual potted herb garden might extend to the flower bed on the side of the house this year as well. I couldn't grow the basil and mint fast enough last summer...too many mojitos and grape-basil drinks!
I'm taking my lead from Mother Nature herself this season, and I will continue to grow and bloom, one day at a time. Despite the occasional rain clouds and thunderstorms, it's hard justify transplanting your entire life when you have deep roots that are tangled in rich soil. I'm starting to realize that without any rain, we couldn't truly grow and appreciate the warmth of the sunshine.
Hope is in bloom...

1 comment: