Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MAGIC MUSHROOMS
image via photobucket
Morel mushroom "hunting" season has officially begun. I have never even bothered to look before, but my new found respect for the mushroom has me quite curious. The farmer's markets and country stores sell them for $20+ per lb. My neighbors across the street just found a bunch of them in the woods behind their house, so I know they are close by! I'm more than a little freaked out about the fact that there are false morels that are poisonous but look quite similar also in season right now. There are a few distinguishing traits that make identifying them easier, but if I do find any, I'll be sure to get a second opinion before I serve them up!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

still can't believe you're eating mushrooms. check out this post from one of my favorite blogs...

http://johannainman.blogspot.com/2009/04/we-walked-right-into-merkle-patch.html

Holly said...

those are gorgeous!